Welcome to the Gingin Observatory come along and experience Astronomy with us !
Have you ever gazed up into the night sky and wanted to know more about the mysteries that lay within the darkness? At the Gingin Observatory just a glance through a powerful telescope and some wisdom from our night sky enthusiasts can unlock at least some of the secrets of the universe we live in. This is just one of the facinating facts you'll walk away with thanks to our astronomers who are on hand to answer your questions and reveal what you're seeing through the telescopes. You will learn about " galactic cannibalism".... apparently big galaxies are rather partial to smaller ones and are prone to gobble them up! There are also planets ....Saturn; Mars or Jupiter at specific times of the year, It's enough to make your mind boggle so come along and joined us for and entertaining evening and see and learn about some of the great wonders of our beautiful and brilliant Universe!.
At the Gingin Observatory visitors experience the wonders of space by viewing through our telescopes, engaging with astronomers and by interacting during a big screen presentation that highlights our beautiful universe. Our telescopes take you hurtling back in time revealing space as it was thousands years ago. If you're viewing a star that is 5000 light years away then you are actually seeing the light from that star as it was 5000 thousand years ago because that is how long it takes for that light to reach us here on Earth!
When you arrive you will see the Gingin Observatory building is split into two easily accessible ground-level areas. Walk into our reception/shop and theatre room where we begin the session with an introduction and presentation. Our viewing area has a fully retractable 7.5 tonne roof driven by a motor on either side. Once open our astronomers will take you on a laser-guided tour of the stars & constellations before introducing you to our telescopes will take you on a journey into deep space & beyond. While waiting your turn, check out our beautiful night sky with our high magnification binoculars.
GINGIN OBSERVATORY Astronomers took the world stage and helped locate & live feed the passing of ASTEROID DA14 to NASA and the rest of the world on February 16th 2013. We are now in the history books of astronomy for Western Australia! ASTEROID_2012_DA14.pdf - SEE THE- Footage from Gingin Observatory
Thankyou to our Galaxy Team for all the time, effort & skill they put into achieving this incredible feat. Over 9 million people in the US saw the coverage and the news footage was broadcast all over the world on the day . What a memorable adventure for all of us at the Gingin Observatory. Since then, the "Team" have gone on to be involved in other events in the Southern Hemisphere for NASA........WHAT'S NEXT ?
- WORRIED ABOUT THE TRAFFIC ? *Roads and Traffic Information
- PREPARE. ACT. SURVIVE Total Fire Ban Updates: http://www.dfes.wa.gov.au/totalfirebans/Pages/default.aspx
- WHAT CAN'T I DO IN A TOTAL FIREBAN ? http://www.dfes.wa.gov.au/totalfirebans/Pages/TotalFireBanWhatCantIDo.aspx
- ALERTS AND WARNINGS FROM FESA: Department of Fire and Emergency Services - Alerts and Warnings
ENTRY PRICES - 2 hour Events only
- $52.00 Adults
- $45.00 Seniors
- $33.00 Children (6-16yrs)
- Children Under 5- FREE
- $165.00 Family ( 2 Adults & 2 Children ( 6--16 yrs)
- Groups of 10 or more there is a % off ( for certain events only)
LOOK AND BOOK - Early payment discounts prices !!!! there is a UNIVERSAL treasure trove of discounted nights available you just have to find them and book ...
- We are open June July - Winter months - the night sky is much clearer - book now !
Please Note: Our prices vary depending on the Daytime Solar Viewing or Stargazing Evening events.
Stargazing Gift Vouchers
Why not buy a Stargazing Gift Voucher for that someone special or a Birthday or Anniversary gift! (Valid for only 6 mths from date of purchase) # Call office or They can be found at GIFT VOUCHERS - SHOPPING IN SPACE**
Gingin Observatory # Office Hours : Monday through to Saturday 9:00 am - 12:00 noon ( please leave a message on the phone and we will endeavour to get back to you as soon as we possibly can) Thank-you from Head Stargazers
NB:OFFICE AND OBSERVATORY ARE CLOSED ON CERTAIN PUBLIC HOLIDAYS 2014 ( check below)
- GOOD FRIDAY 18TH - APRIL 2014
- EASTER MONDAY 21ST - APRIL 2014
- ANZAC DAY - FRIDAY -25TH APRIL - 2014
- WESTERN AUSTRALIA DAY - MONDAY -2ND JUNE 2014
- QUEENS BIRTHDAY - MONDAY -29TH SEPTEMBER 2014
- CHRISTMAS DAY - THURSDAY- 25TH DECEMBER 2014
- BOXING DAY - FRIDAY - 26TH DECEMBER 2014
Event Times: NB : Due to the sunset each night during the year our viewing and event times change approx e.g. Summer: 8pm starts, Autum : 7.30pm - 7pm starts , Winter: 6.30- 6pm starts. Spring: 7pm - 7.30pm starts.( this information is provided on our calendar of events).
- Q: What if its Cloudy ? We are still open ( if you see a blue patch in the sky then thats the reason why we will give it a try) because we love the rain and storms as it makes our night skies crystal clear and sometimes when it is raining or cloudy in Perth we have no clouds or rain up at Gingin, so check the weather map for Gingin look at these sites below:
- Gingin AERO: www.bom.gov.au
- Skippy Astronomy Weather: http://www.skippysky.com.au/Australia/
SOLAR EVENTS - We are open during the day from 9am - 12 noon Monday - Saturday for Solar Veiwing (min booking is 10 people for an event) so why not book with us as a GROUP and SCHOOL / SCOUT Bookings available contact us for more information and booking form.
We are only approx 1 hour from Perth, we are on bitumen / tar road all the way, so why not make a day out by visiting the Gravity Discovery Centre ( right next door ) or West Coast Honey or 1300 Trail Rides or Caladenia Mini Golf and make a weekend and bring the family and stay and at one of our fantastic places overnight and then come and visit with us again in the evening at the Gingin Observatory.
We now are selling TOKENS to climb (222 steps) of the famous Leaning Tower (45 meter tall structure leaning at an angle of 15degrees held in place with 180 tones of concrete) at the Gravity Discovery Centre before stargazing with us at the Gingin Observatory.
MARCH EVENTS - START NOW AT 7.30PM
- FRIDAY 21ST - DISCOUNTED
- SATURDAY 22ND - NOW FULLY BOOKED OUT!!!
- FRIDAY 28TH - DISCOUNTED
- SATURDAY 29TH - 'EARTH HOUR'
- FRIDAY 14TH - DISCOUNTED
- SATURDAY 15TH
Online bookings are Easy: Check out the Events Calendar and make online booking by clicking on
Gingin Observatory is an Accredited Tourism Business and was a finalist in the 2010 Western Australian Tourism Awards!